Position: Video Game Guide Writer (Remote)
The selected candidate will be responsible for researching new games and finding topics that would make worthwhile guides and strategy/tips articles and then writing those guides as quickly as possible. They should be able to intuit what angle will make for a unique guide as well as what topics gamers are searching for at the moment, with the goal of offering the best and most clear article for players to help them out.
This is a paid freelance, remote position, - that means you can work from anywhere, on your own schedule.
Screen Rant is the #1 entertainment website on the web and publishes up-to-the-minute news on blockbuster movies, TV, video games, and comic books. Our editorial team is looking for eager game guide writers to contribute gaming content under the leadership of the Gaming Lead Editor. The selected candidates will have tremendous career growth opportunity within the organization. Please note that this role does not involve video production, animation, or script writing.
Above all else, we are looking for applicants with a passion for the type of content we cover. Before applying, please visit screenrant.com and review our gaming coverage (especially guides). If you think you belong within our geeky community of writers and editors but have no professional writing experience, we would be more than happy to consider your application nonetheless. We pride ourselves on having a passion-first, experience-second approach to hiring writing talent. In your cover letter, make sure to let us know how your knowledge and love of games applies to Screen Rant’s content!
- Write a minimum of 5-10 guides per week in Screen Rant’s house style (following the requisite training and peer mentorship period)
- This will include fact checking, formatting, linking, and image sourcing/very basic editing (sizing, brightness, etc.)
- Pitch regular guide content and research popular games
- Remain up to date on upcoming releases and rumors
- Accept and apply any/all feedback received by the editorial team
- Communicate openly and actively with the editorial team
- A passion for the content and a drive to grow within the industry
- Deep knowledge of video games and general knowledge of the gaming industry
- Quick learner with strong sense of urgency
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to write articles free of typos and grammatical errors
- Comfortable working in an entirely virtual environment
Applicants with experience in the following areas will be given favorable consideration:
- Understanding of what it means to write a “Guide”
- Relevant experience in writing and/or editing roles (digital publications, entertainment content)
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Image editing
- Analytics (GA)
What Screen Rant has to offer:
Open schedule - write as much as you like, whenever you like, from wherever you like!
Future bonusing opportunities for high contributors of quality articles
Incredible opportunities for career growth within a supportive system
An amazing community of like-minded people to nerd-out with on a daily basis